It started casually, as every completely bonkers thing does. One of the players (who’d been part of the community for another game I worked on, many years ago) asked if my tattoo policy was still in place.
“Of course it is,” I said.
Another player asked what that policy was. I replied, “Oh, if you’re crazy enough to get a tattoo related to the game, I’m crazy enough to give you a free copy of each game we do.”
And here we are. That’s really all there is to it, but for those of you asking, here are some guidelines:
- You must be a legal adult at the time that you get your tattoo. Even if your parents are willing to sign an exemption, I’m not going to accept it.
- I am going to try and talk you out of it. What’s the longest you’ve ever played a game? Your tattoo is going to last for DECADES LONGER THAN THAT. Y’all! Come on! This is in fact one of the greatest games ever, but this is the only skin you will have!
- If you get it and regret it, that’s on you. I tried to talk you out of it.
- In order to count, it needs to be related to the game’s logo. Your memorial portrait of Marcus will not count. The skull eagle, in any of its variations, does count. When in doubt, ask first. Note that every time you ask a question you will be subjected to #2.
- In order to count, you must be willing to send me a photo of the tattoo for each title (see #7), and it must be in a location where I am willing to look at the photo (go ahead, ask yourself why I had to make this a rule, and then weep for humanity). When in doubt, ask first. Note that every time you ask a question you will be subjected to #2.
- In order to count, it needs to be legible. A skull eagle that is a centimeter long is a meaningless blob when the definition inevitably fades, so you might not be able to score your freebie five years down the road.
- Your permanent skin art is good for a copy of each game related to that art. So, a SOD tatt is a coupon for any SOD games/DLC from the date of the tattoo onwards. All you have to do is wait for a game to launch, and then email me a photo of the tattoo, with you holding a note beside it with the date and the title you’re asking for. One code on one platform per title.
Because if you’re crazy, I’m crazy. And seriously, we are touched, flattered, gobsmacked, and delighted that what we’ve made is meaningful enough that anyone would even think about doing this, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.