Case #

06.27.11

Researcher

Subject

News, Research, Studio

That Shit Could Happen Here

I grew up in the small Central Texas town of Temple. Never heard of it? Most people haven’t. It’s about an hour north of Austin, and about half an hour south of Waco. You remember Waco, right? Yep, that’s my childhood stomping ground. That’s where I learned to play D&D, fell in love with video games, saw Dawn of the Dead for the first time, and pushed wheeled trashcans full of day-old Mexican food down the alley behind the restaurant with my car at 40 mph because there was nothing else to do.

Sigh. Good times.

Temple isn’t exactly the glitzy metropolis you’d expect to see in a game. If I’m donning my cape, mask, and lightning fists to take on some evil supervillains, I want to be somewhere sexy like Paragon City or Tokyo. If I’m taking up my two-handed mace to get my Paladin on, I expect the best chance to be admired is somewhere densely populated like Stormwind or Paris. When I suit up in my NFL-designed space marine combat armor, I look forward to dishing it out to the bugs on their homeworld of X’zzzt.

But the zed apocalypse? Forget the cities and the flashy locales — many of us will be holding back the rotting hordes in small towns just like Temple.

A few weeks ago, we asked you to share your hometown with us. Our survey received thousands of responses from all over the world, and the results were surprising. While it’s statistically true that most of the world’s population lives in big cities like New York City, London, Paris, and Athens, you can see from our Outbreak Map that only a handful of us live in the heart of metropolitan areas. Most of the people that responded to our survey actually live in small towns or suburbs. Home isn’t Times Square or Shinjuku — it’s Bob’s IGA, the VFW dance hall, the local espresso shack, and the Alamo Burrito and BBQ Hacienda.

Check out our full Outbreak Map here!

When we started designing the world of Class3, we wanted to capture the essence of the real zombie apocalypse by creating a setting that felt like a real place — one that you might actually live in. For a template, we chose a typical small town in eastern Washington State, very similar to our tech director Shaun’s hometown of Benton City.

McMillanville. It’s not fancy; it’s not exotic; but it’s home. And you know, that shit could happen here.

Jeff

PS: Thanks to all of you who entered your hometown on the map! Team Zed loved watching the map fill up over the past few weeks. If your hometown isn’t called out, go ahead and add it! Don’t worry if the pin doesn’t pop up right away — our map updates every night, so check back the next day to see the latest version.

1. Researcher: Joe
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Wow! What a great response for the Outbreak Map!

• Researcher: Emily
      Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Yeah! Isn’t that cool? It’s neat to see all of the pins on the map. I especially like the folks that live WAY out there…like the person who’s hanging out at the tip-top of Norway :)

• Researcher: reidlos dog
      Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 9:57 pm

If you look closely, you can see the already thousands of guaranteed sales on this map. I’m not being sarcastic, I’m very happy to see the thousands of people who are ready to buy this game, and it has probably a whole year till Class 3 comes out.

2. Researcher: Scott P.
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Nice! Bucksport, ME, my hometown is on there! Also, there’s these really nice blue signs on my main street, and bridges, that say “Evacuation Route” Those are new. ;)

3. Researcher: Jeff
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Lots of people adding their hometown to the map right now. I’ll do manual updates every 30 minutes or so for the next few hours.

• Researcher: MeanCrabFace
      Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

So Mr. Jeff you grew up in Temple. I m actually from around that area as well. I assume you have been to or heard of Belton lake? I caught a 40lb Catfish out of there a few years back. I hope the game is going well and you guys are having as much fun making it as we are following you. Keep up the good work and the steady posts.

• Researcher: Jeff
      Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Oh man, I spent many a summer day hanging out at Temple Lake Park and exploring the woods on the back side of Belton Dam. And yeah, I pulled a few catfish out of that lake over the years; and a few alligator gar as well. Zombies of the fish world.

4. Researcher: ZedHead
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I love the Outbreak Map! Great job! Also I like the direction of the game world so far, keep it up :)
    BTW: I have a lot of family that lives near Temple (in Killeen), while I live not so far away in a Houston suburb. :D

5. Researcher: Sean13
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Cool to see my city got added!

Coincidentally, this was the headline in one of the local papers today:

“Dundee safe from zombie attack – council”

…and the story behind it in case anyone is interested http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Dundee/article/15206/zombie-planning-undead-hordes-no-threat-to-dundee-city-council.html

6. Researcher: Tip
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Great article, and the map was a nice touch.

7. Researcher: Danny
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Awesome, I like that you guys showed this map. There are a lot more of us than I thought. Good stuff!

• Researcher: Josh_Rhombusbox
      Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Wow, ive been eagerly awaiting this post. I’m from British Columbia Canada, and it appears the Pacific Northwest is well represented. Not to mention Undead Labs HQ.

8. Researcher: Crode
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Damn it looks like I will the only defender in my city. I think I will just run for it.

9. Researcher: kelly shipman
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 5:53 pm

sweet, I’m not the only Yakimanian! (yakima, WA to those who dont know) Got a few of us from eastern Washington. Very cool results guys. (you might be able to make an interesting T-shirt of an outbreak map)

• Researcher: kelly shipman
      Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

It would be interesting to have a map that plotted people’s current location, and where they would go in the event of an outbreak. Would they be more likely to stay put, or move for a better location?

10. Researcher: Ryan
    Date Recorded: June 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Awesome map!!!! I love the fact i’m 1 of 9 people pegged for Long Island, NY. I live in Riverhead and that would give me ample time to get my family members and load up on supplies. Hopefully I could meet up with the other 8 somewhere along the way. Zeds aint got nothing on the living!!!!